Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bryce's Last Email

My last words to everyone (until I see you again):

Well everyone, family and friends, I just want to sum up, to the best of my ability, my mission in a few words. I hope I can be guided to know what to say, because I'm not sure how to express something as momentous as my mission experience in just a few words.

To say the least, the mission was a roller coaster. I learned a lot from the positive experiences as well as the negative. I think most importantly, I learned that the gospel is the most important thing in our lives no matter what; I learned that we don't have the gospel just so that we can be happy ourselves; I know now that God gives it to us so that we can pass it along. The happiness that comes from the gospel multiplies itself when we're sharing it and allowing it to not only change our own lives, but the lives of those around us. I've never had a better experience than sharing what I have. I don't want it to end. Everyday I think of how I will take the opportunities to share the gospel after my mission. I don't want to make the mistake that so many members of the church make by thinking that when the mission is over, sharing the gospel is over, too.

I just want to testify that I know the Book of Mormon is true. Joseph Smith was a prophet, and I have no doubts about that in my mind, despite the fact that I've heard every crazy thing about him that there is out there as a missionary, I've felt the spirit so much as I've testified of his prophethood and the resoration that was brought to pass through him. Most of all, I know that Jesus is the Christ; no one could change anybody's life the way that he's changed mine and those I've been blessed to teach but Him. His atonement is real; it repairs broken lives when we look to Him. I know that he directs the work that members and missionaries alike are engaged in. As the world worsens, the church becomes better! I haven't seen that in any other church out here. The Lord strengthens us in our trials, and I've experienced that many times out here. I'm sad to leave, but I'm also excited to return to the poeple I love...that would be all of you. I'll see you soon!

Love, Elder Lowry

No comments: