Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I can't believe I said "yes!"

So ... can you picture me and Miles on stage in front of hundreds of people performing a play? No? Neither can I. But that is what is going to happen. We're going to be in the university's Savior of the World production! Miles will be playing Aaron the son of John. I will be playing John the Beloved. I even have to sing in this thing. Fortunately, I think there is only one line that I have to sing by myself. In the other places I'll be singing with at least one other apostle and usually with the other 10. I can't believe I said "yes!"

I got a phone call this evening from Randy Kempton who is a friend of mine and just happens to be a choir director on campus and in charge of the vocal aspects of the production. He started the conversation off in a way that let me know he was going to ask a big favor. As he explained what he wanted, I couldn't bring myself to say no immediately. I was stunned when I felt that I should do this. I figured this might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me to be in a play with Miles. I felt that this could be a very special experience for us. Randy, for those who don't know him, is one of our backpacking buddies. He has heard me "sing" before so he knows the risk he is taking. I sure hope he doesn't regret asking us. (Perhaps there's a scriptural reference that I've missed that indicates John was tone deaf.)

We will start practices on Monday and will be practicing most every night until the play starts on July 1st. We will be performing on the 1st and 2nd and then again on the 7th through the 12th. We will do a matinée and an evening performance on the 12th.

If you're stunned by all of this, so am I!

3 comments:

BrianF$ said...

This is horrible! Chris will soon be leaving his day job to play play Professor Harold Hill in the Music Man and from thence to Broadway to star in CATS! Miles will become a child actor and star in "The Sixth Sense 2" where rather than he seeing dead people who don't know they're dead, he sees alive people who don't know they're alive. They'll both get famous, rich, and then lose their money and wind up in rehab. Just say no to musicals.

Sherie Christensen said...

I want to come! I've tried to get tickets to "Savior of the World" in SLC and the tickets are always gone so fast I feel rather hopeless about ever getting any. Wow! You've moved up from road show days! Congrats to you and Miles. Break a leg.

Chris said...

I've never seen the play either. From the practices that I've been in, I get the impression that it is very good.

This has been a very busy and nerve-racking week with all of the practices. I'm starting to be less anxious now and so I'm enjoying myself more.